Sunday, June 14, 2009

Gettin' On My Soap Box

So, I try not to use my blog to complain, rather share the happy things in our lives, but just for this moment, I am Gettin' On My Soap Box....

This morning, we went to church. So far, I found the Priest at our church to give very meaningful homily's. I have found myself enjoying each one and getting something out of it that carried with me all week. Today, however, he said something that rubbed me the wrong way, if you will. During his homily today, he made some comments about how people dress to come to church. Noting that it is wrong to wear jeans, shorts, etc to church, going on to say that you would not wear such items to pay your last respects to someone at a funeral, so why would you wear such clothing to pay your respects to God. Being that I was sitting next to my husband, who for the first time EVER, wore jeans to church today (and only because I told him it would be ok), I felt rather uncomfortable as did Jeff. I totally feel that the Priest was way out of line in saying such a thing. I feel that it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you are there to thank God for the many blessing He has given unto you, ask for forgiveness for your sins and pray for His mercy and guidance in your life.

Of course, this comment is not going to keep me from going to church or liking the Priest that is there. I am going to call it a bad day on his behalf (and maybe he needed to get on his soapbox too!!) But as I climb off of my soapbox...I personally give everyone permission to wear whatever you like to my funeral...and to church!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment